Thursday, November 18, 2010

Chasing The Sun

 Do you ever feel that there is a convergence of thought or at least of similar things that all at once hit you?

This evening as I was driving the kids home from school,  I caught a glimpse of the most amazing sunset.  The cold clouds, low on the horizon, had just slit apart and the sun's blinding ball of fire was peering through.  I drove past the house to a nearby field to capture a picture.  I got a few shots in, but apparently my p & s is on the fritz and the photos were less than stellar...sorry.

Anyway,  as I watched this, I  remembered B saying, just after noon on Sunday, "wow, look how low the sun is in the sky!"  How true!  Did I mention that the time that I saw this beautiful sky this evening was at 4:15?  This time of year the sun stays low, just under the radar, every day.  When you are lucky enough to capture it on a cloudless day it seems bright, yet muffled, barely warming the cold air.

I wonder if this muted feeling is what contributes to the amazing comfort we receive from the special warmth of home that comes this time of year.  We begin our drive tomorrow toward our Kansas Thanksgiving homecoming, and will gain a few more minutes of sunlight.  I look forward to chasing the sun as it dances across the sky, 600 miles South.  

Happy Weekend! 

2 comments:

  1. I still think it's a pretty cool photo, but I know what you mean - so often I've been awed by a sunrise or sunset and snapped away, but the photos never quite capture the real thing.
    Have a safe trip and a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like a wink before it sleeps, nice photo.

    ReplyDelete