Saturday, November 13, 2010

Lift As You Climb....


What is World Kindness Day, you ask?  I found out about it a year ago from a dear blog friend Se'Lah, and was eager to participate again this year.  This year's theme is Lift As You Climb.

Even the smallest actions that we take affect someone else in a profound way.  This may sound dramatic, but we can't possibly pretend to know what is going on in a stranger's life.  What is making them tick at the moment of your interaction with them.  Something as simple as a smile can turn another person's day around.    Have you read The Five People You Meet in Heaven?  Have you taken a couple of hours with your family to watch It's A Wonderful Life?  Have you read Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree?  Many of the reflections in these show how simple kindnesses can change a life.  Interestingly, I participate in a weekly post called One Word Wednesday, and this weeks word was connect.  Our connectedness in so many ways, not the least being this group posting today,  perfectly illustrates how a simple kindness can be contagious.

Lift As You Climb.  What does this mean to you?  As a wife, mom, employer, girl scout leader, friend, daughter, and neighbor I find myself daily trying to encourage and motivate.  I've always been a firm believer in leading by example and first and foremost being a good listener.  When you listen and gently suggest or nudge with encouragement you are giving that soul a boost to it's next level.  For me, the climb is simply navigating my way through my roles and remaining a very grounded individual in the process.  So why not, thorough your actions, create world kindness day every day.  What simple acts of kindness will you do today?

3 comments:

  1. I needed this today, of all days. Just this morning I was treated rudely by a stranger. I did my best to stay pleasant, but underneath I wanted to scream.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shel Silverstein is one of my daughter's favourite poet and that book is just the best! What a great day to practise the sentiments of that book - giving.

    Happy World Kindness Day! one love.

    ReplyDelete