Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Upon Midsummer


The changing of the seasons,
this inevitable turning of the tide is important to me. 
Maybe because our seasons here are so sharp,  so beautiful, so changing,
or because of how attuned we need to be to watch the ebb and flow of the earth
while growing our own food.  Though the solstice does not have to align with heat, this year, for us anyway, it does.  When I came home last night from a meeting it was still 85 degrees at 9 pm.  This awakened fleeting dream-like memories in the back of my mind of long summer's eves when we lived in Las Vegas and relished how soothing 100 degree heat could be at midnight.   Upon midsummer, a humid heat like this leads to late nights with fireflies, and lazy dreams.  Some that you remember, some that just leave you with their essence. 


“I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream, past the wit of man to say what dream it was.”
William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

No comments:

Post a Comment