Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Seasonal Breakfast

152:366 Strawberry Crumble

This, the last week of school has been filled with breakfast treats and later than normal bed times (I'm sure the extended hours of light are contributing to the latter).  We have done Belgian waffles, cereal with luscious whole milk (which now accompanies almost everything and even has my son who doesn't like milk drinking it.  Check out my post here to see how this all came about), and this morning strawberry crumble.  The strawberries are booming and I found last night that we are going to have to be careful to make time to harvest every day, even if it's a small one, or we will be overrun!  I found a cool article yesterday on the kitchn and used one of the variations.


Strawberry Crumble

Big bowl of strawberries (I didn't measure, just used what I had)
Slice the strawberries and toss with 1 Tbs. cornstarch, 1 Tbs. lemon juice and 1/4 C sugar (you can use more, but our strawberries are so amazingly sweet, they really don't need much!  Empty combined ingredients into a 9" pie pan.

Love the Pastry Cutter

Crumble Topping:  1 C Flour, 1/2 C Brown Sugar, 1/2 C Oatmeal, 1 tsp. Baking Powder, 1 tsp. Cinnamon, and 8 Tbsp softened butter.  Cut the ingredients all together with a pastry cutter, my new very favorite kitchen tool!  Sprinkle on top of strawberry mixture and place into a 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and browning on top.

Crumble out of oven

Enjoy a very seasonal, yet decadent breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment