Thursday, February 14, 2013

Word Salad


 Last week Sidney and I began watching the Gilmore Girls from the beginning of the series. It has been so much fun, and we are completely hooked. An after school episode (or two) has now become a ritual for us. After one episode we were discussing a scene and she looked at me and said, well that was nothing but a word salad. I had not heard this term before, and she told me that it is something her teacher says if their writing is comprised of a bunch of random words that just don't make sense mixed up in a big bowl. Though, I think what I said was concise, the phrase put quite a picture in my head, and a smile on my face.

Word salad, I think that can also go to explain why my writing has been sparse of late. We are implementing some new and exciting things at work.   However, putting a plan for all of the different components in place, and then beginning to execute them is a little bit like trying to constantly solve a brain teaser. The process has left my thoughts for writing fragmented, and prompted me to spend a little more time in Stars Hollow.

My book club just began reading The 19th Wife. I am only eighty or so pages in and it is both fascinating and disturbing at the same time. I am enjoying how the story is written with both modern day and historical excerpts, and the alternation between the two chapter by chapter also fits into the fragmentation that seems to be a theme here.

Have you ever experience a word salad kind of week?



No comments:

Post a Comment