Wednesday, December 1, 2010

One Word Wedensday~Stuffed

 *This lovely dough is just stuffed with air*

Have you ever had one of those nights?  You know the ones I'm talking about....where you have something on you mind and go over and over it a million times in a semi-dream state all night long until the alarm clock goes off and you feel like you've just run a marathon.  Last night was one of those nights for me.  Jeez such a simple thing as a new recipe had me tossing and turning!

When we were in Kansas last week I was introduced to a very basic, homey meal that the kids just loved.  They are sandwich's called Bierocks.  It is a homemade sweet bread stuffed with a mixture of seasoned hamburger, onion, cabbage, cheese and a touch of mustard.  So simple, so freezable, so perfect to pull out for a quick dinner on cold hectic nights.  Just serve it with a cup of soup or a salad and you are all set!

My angst came from properly executing this amazing bread recipe..kneading, letting rise, punching down then shaping, stuffing and letting rise again.  I guess I was truly getting lost in the details, since I did them repetitively in my sleep.  Loss of sleep or no, a stuffed sandwich recipe well worth doing!

Filling
1 1/2 -2 lb hamburger, browned
1/2 lb. cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 head cabbage, shredded
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp Onion flakes (I diced an onion)
Dash of pepper & Celery salt
Big squeeze mustard ~1/4 cup

Dough
4 1/2 C flour
1/8 C. Nonfat dry milk
1/8 C. Instant potatoes 
1 Tbsp. Salt
1/3 C. Sugar
1/8 C. Yeast


Mix dry ingredients, add 1/3 cup melted butter and 1/2 Quart (2 Cups) water.  Mix until wet ball forms.  Add 1/4 cup more flour and knead until smooth.  Let rise.  Punch down,  and then roll out 1/4" thick and cut squares.  Place 1 ice cream scoop of filling in center of square.  Fold square together and pinch seam, and allow to rise again.  Bake in 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.  Makes 30-36.  They freeze great and just need to be re-heated in the oven!

One Word Wednesday is a weekly post inspired by Jillsygirl.  Thanks Sally G. for hosting the last few weeks it's been great!  Please join in the fun!  

5 comments:

  1. Great post. I wasn't sure if we were supposed to write anything with the photos.I am new to the hop but it seems fun. Love the pic and just may have to try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful and so easy! I just might have to try this recipe!
    Stuffed bread sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny, my 'stuffed' post was about needing to get out from inside my head ~ similar wavelengths ... your ending was far more delectable than mine though.

    Like Joanie, I'm going to try this recipe. And 4timesblessed - WELCOME!! I thought your submission was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious! I think I have a similar one from years ago but it uses Bisquick (for shortcut cooks like me!) And yes, I do have nights like that. ugh!

    ReplyDelete