Monday, December 6, 2010

#reverb10 ~ Day 6 ~ Make

Birthday Cake Quilt top Done!

When this I first read about #reverb10 I was worried that I would become overwhelmed by the project.  Instead, I find that I am eagerly looking forward to the daily creativity nudges and am thoroughly enjoying all of the responses posted.  Today's prompt:   Make. What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?

This is a tricky question to be posing to me this time of year!  I have made several things recently that I would love to share, but Christmas is a mere few weeks away and I don't want to spill the beans! 

With that, I will say this has been a year full of making things.  Actually it began a year ago when I decided to create a homemade Christmas.  At that time, I took it as a challenge to myself to see what I could do.  Recently, I realized,  that the homemade emphasis has flowed from last year throughout this year.  I guess I caught the bug and now it is just part of who I am. 

The photo above is a quilt top that I finished in September.  I did not post it then, though I was eager to,  because it was for my nieces birthday.  I have been waiting anxiously and am in the clear now, because she opened it last week.  She is three now, so we will see whether someday it's a family heirloom.  Maybe years from now, when it's worn and faded, she'll share it with her daughter or niece, and tell the stories of memories she has of it and her silly sentimental aunt from Wisconsin.  Brilliantly, in my eagerness to wrap it up, I never did take a picture of it once I'd quilted and bound it. 

I love creating from the heart something to be handed down, something that weathers time and tells a story.  What have you made recently?

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt! I am in awe of your homemade christmas idea. I always think of things I would like to make way too close to Christmas to actually make them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lucky niece !
    that quilt is beautiful !!!

    ReplyDelete