Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Day Away

 Today I had a fantastic and tiring day with Charles' class on a field trip to the Milwaukee Public Museum.  The kids are in the midst of their Africa Unit, an amazing experience that I'm proud to have my second (second grade) child participate in.  It was also strangely relaxing to be unplugged and away from the disturbing events happening here.  The kiddos had a blast and amazed me with their knowledge of all things Africa.  They soaked in the museum like a sponge on crack.  They moved so fast and absorbed so much that it was hard to keep up.  Yet, they get it.  We are lucky enough to have a butterfly habitat at the museum where the kids can go in and see chrysalis' hatch, and walk among hundreds of butterflies who flitter, flutter and ultimately land on them.  A day that does the heart good in heavy times.  I am proud of our kids and their amazing, patient, inventive teachers who so beautifully expand their minds.  I hope that in depth programs like these will be available to kids who come after mine and will continue to enrich my children. 
I will have to talk about this fantastic sweater that I got from The Painted Daisy in my new found etsy habit, thanks Beth for addicting me!

4 comments:

  1. I was thinking about you yesterday with all that crap going on up there. Glad to hear you were isolated from it and had a good day.

    About that sweater....L.O.V.E it!!
    I, too, ordered one on Monday and received it on Wednesday, but it was too short (BTW when did you buy yours, I didn't see it when I was looking Monday morning...I would have grabbed it up instantly!) Anyhoo...after several emails back and forth with Jenny, she's going to make a new one for me that resembles Beth's, so I returned the one I got. I really do like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jill!

    I LOVE the sweater! I went on, just after you (I'd seen your post that you'd already bought one), some stuff seemed hidden back a few pages. It was a little big so I talked to Jenny and tried to shrink it, which worked beautifully! She's fantastic, had offered to alter it if I needed. Can't wait to see pix when you get yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Jill are both bad influences - I'm thinking I need to order one of those sweaters myself now! My google reader is showing me how behind I am on my blog reading. I envy you your day at the museum - I miss field trips! Love your bird photos, too. Glad spring is on its way there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hee hee.....i love helping people with addictions :)
    love the sweater !!!

    ReplyDelete