Monday, February 14, 2011

The Sound of the Thaw

Thaw Sunset
 Last night's gorgeous sunset two ways, real time and  with some zoom action

After an extended deep freeze and copious amounts of snow, yesterday was 45 degrees and the day that we took our junior girl scouts cross country skiing.  What an amazing day! The girls were determined and down right good at it!  I haven't cross country skied in several years and I definitely caught the bug again yesterday.  We skied glove less,  with coats unzipped or tied around our waists, enjoying the balmy air and soaking up some much needed vitamin D.

This whole week is to be in the upper thirties with a cap out around fifty on Thursday!  As I stepped outside this morning, into the cool, now damp air, it sounded like a rain storm.  Water sounded to be pouring down, running off of every surface around me.  This was the sound of the thaw.  A good third of our snow melted yesterday and if the week holds true to the temperature predictions the snow will be virtually gone by Saturday.  A little bitter sweet for me, now that I'm fired up to ski.  Ah, I'm sure we haven't seen the last of the white stuff, but spring does seem to be teasing us a bit!

This evening as I hear the chatter of happy kids home from school and I busy myself getting dinner started, I smile.  I have been so blessed with two amazing kids who never allow for a dull moment and am fortunate enough to be married to my soul mate.  I realize that the love of this family of ours is deep and appreciated every day.  We don't need one holiday in February to express it.  But having an excuse to make our every day even just a tad more special is just fine with me.  Happy Valentines Day! 

5 comments:

  1. I was there too ;) Love these. I recently rediscovered x-country skiing and am thinking about investing in some updated equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. who is Susan?...this was from Camela...I must have done something wrong
    Oh, haha Susan Bukachek...must have been from logging into her Google account for the website.
    sorry for all that dribble


    cam

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, for your kind words, when i needed them most.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i love the zoom action shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great shot...

    hope you had a great valentine's day and that your days will forever be overflowing with love and peace.

    one love.

    ReplyDelete