Sunday, February 6, 2011

Go Pack!

I grew up in a heavy football culture.  We had season tickets to the Los Angeles Rams and every Sunday that they were home, we were there.  I remember breakfasts or post game at the stadium club.  I remember watching my grandfather do the wave in the stadium or chant Eeeeverrret when we got a new quarterback, with one ear phone in so he could hear the commentators in the press box above.  I remember watching Eric Dickerson dance across the end zone.  If we weren't at the stadium, we watched from home and spent halftime running plays in the front yard.  My dad would use the palm of his hand to illustrate when we were young, then just give the play and critique afterwards when we were older.  This past Christmas, the tradition continued as dad took Charlie out front and began on the palm of his hand to show him how to "go out ten and button hook", and be sure to "cradle the ball."  Charles, grass stains and all, was in heaven.
 It wasn't horribly long after I moved away from home that Georgia moved the Rams to St. Louis.  They were still my team and I continued to root for them.   We were fortunate to ultimately end up in a town/state that also has a very rich football culture.  I was young and not often doing the grocery shopping on a Sunday when I lived at home, but you can't step foot out the door anyplace in Wisconsin on a Sunday without seeing a sea of green and gold.  Charlie comes home from school full of Packer facts, and Sidney wears her green and gold with pride.  Today as I head to church, I know I will be met with a green glow from within the sanctuary.  We will then spend the afternoon with our nearest and dearest (our family away from home), to root on the home team to a Super Bowl win. 
Go Pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment