Monday, February 28, 2011

A Cup Of Hot Tea


Today feels the appropriate time to chime in on Jillsy's prompt me from last week.  I'm sitting home this afternoon with my little man who has finally caught the funk that went through the rest of the family over the last few weeks.  So as he lays low, I'm scurrying around doing chores and have just stopped for a cup of tea.

I was never a soda drinker and didn't learn to enjoy coffee until college.  My drink of choice was iced tea, until I studied abroad.  I lived in Kensington, England for six months and learned to savor a good cup of hot tea with milk and occasionally a touch of sugar.   Something about it always takes the chill off and soothes the soul like nothing else.

I start my day with a cup of coffee, yet as soon as I get the kids dropped off and am settled at work, I switch to tea.  I enjoy many kinds, yet black with a hint of citrus is my favorite.  I always drink from a mug.  I recently read and then blogged about Wabi-Sabi and one of the ways to use it in every day life was to  "Cultivate Vision.  Start with the container you use to hold your morning beverage.  Treat yourself to pottery that feels solid and heavy in your hand.  Admire your mug's shape, textures and colors every morning to strengthen your ability to find beauty in the rest of the day."  excerpted from Mother Earth News.  

Today as I was contemplating this post, I went to the china cabinet and pulled out a cup and saucer.  This set, and the dishes that go with it, were my grandmothers and came to my home last fall.  We have used the dishes, but I think I'll have to start using these cups more often.  Now that I think of it, maybe I should host an afternoon tea, what fun!  Off to plan! :)

3 comments:

  1. This little blog hop has inspired me to start using the cups in my collection, too! I agree with beginning the day with something special - I have a handful of coffee mugs that I choose from, either for their beauty or for sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read the post about Wabi-Sabi and without realizing it, I have incorporated it into several aspects of my life already!

    It's amazing what a good cuppa can do for the soul. That tea set is so delicate that it calls for the pinky to be held high when sipping! ;-)

    BTW...I fixed the Blog Hop and you should be able to add yours now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! I was totally thinking of Barbara's tea cups while reading this and was glad to see her comment. (grin) Not only did you start your day with the strength and memories of those who lived before you, but you started it with such a pretty set, the beauty and the order of a matched set surely a good beginning to a great day. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete