Wednesday, July 15, 2015

In the Garden :: July 15


As promised here is a garden update, hard to believe that it has only been just over ten days since my initial summer garden update.


We are eating fresh from the garden many nights, and though full yields have not come in yet, with our recent bout of warm weather, things are coming on increasingly every day.


The squash and cucumber plants have tripled in size and giant blossoms are open in the early morning.


The berries will be ready for picking within the next couple of days, I am already dreaming of those wonderful raspberry scones.


With the garden beginning to produce, so too comes the time to start preserving surplus for future months.  The last several years I have done lots of red currant jelly, which the kids love.  Last years harvest was so abundant, I still have some stores remaining.


So this year to mix things up a bit, and in anticipation of the home grown proteins that are heading toward the freezer, I branched out into a red currant chutney.  The initial batch is really quite delicious, I think that it will be perfect to use as a marinade.  My initial currant harvest yielded just over five cups of fruit, so I calculated 2 1/2 times the recipe and it made two cups of chutney, plenty to portion out into 1/2 cup servings and freeze.  Do you have any tried and true currant recipes?  If so, please share!

1 comment: