Friday, July 3, 2015

#100HappyDays :: Day 59


I have been contemplating tying a scape pesto, and since yesterday I saw a recipe for it and had all of the necessary ingredients at home I decided there was no time like the present.


As I worked through the recipe I tweaked things a bit to get the consistency that I was looking for.  It made a lot and I will have plenty to freeze portions of for a fresh taste come fall and early winter.  We have perennial arugula growing in the garden, meaning some arugula that we let go to seed blew all over and now is coming up like a lush bed of greens.  B suggested that we take a portion of the pesto and blend in a good handful of the greens to add even more to it.  I think that may be on the holiday weekend to do list.  Being able to process home grown items into food that lasts us all year long is always a happy spot in the day.




Garlic Scape Pesto

20 garlic scapes
2/3 C raw almonds
1 1/4 C Parmesan cheese, grated
1 1/4 C olive oil
1 C heavy cream
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
several good grinds of pepper


Briefly grind together scapes, almonds, cheese, salt and pepper until just combined in a food processor.  Then begin to incorporate the olive oil and heavy cream and process until desired consistency.  A little goes a long way, and is delicious.  For a pound of pasta, we mixed in about 2 heaping tablespoons of the pesto with some pasta water and tossed until the pasta was well coated.

No comments:

Post a Comment