Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Pace

 Blood Orange Tart with a Brandy Glaze 

I think it fitting that my first post of 2013 is on the second of January, rather than the first.  Yesterday, as with each January 1st of the last three years, our dinner club got together for a New Year's brunch. We celebrate our friendship and the amazing way that eight people can waltz around a kitchen anticipating each others moves to create beautiful slow food.  The day was full of lively conversation, laughter, kids playing in the snow, and lots and lots of cooking.  Dish after dish of culinary love, the best way we know how to show our appreciation for life and each other.

The last couple of years, I have chosen a word(s) that is a theme for the year.  In 2011 it was cultivate, and in 2012 it was blank pages.   I like choosing a word to focus on, much like a mantra to help maintain focus throughout the year on what is important. When I began to think about what to choose for this year, there was one word that I couldn't shake.  Pace.

Pace:
   rate of movement
   rate of progress
   an example to be emulated
   rate of performance or delivery
   an exhibition or test of skills or capabilities
   with due deference to (from the Latin for pax, peace)

With life as busy as ever, and many goals to be accomplished, it will be an important mantra for me to maintain pace in a way that is productive, yet not so accelerated that I forget to savor each moment. So posting this on January 2nd instead of the 1st is a conscious effort to begin this year on the right pace.

To get your year off to an amazing start,  you must try this simple and delicious tart!

Blood Orange Tart with Brandy Glaze 
Shortbread Crust:
1 C all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. confectioners sugar
1/2 C butter
Place all ingredients into a bowl and cut in the butter with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles a crumble.  Chill for 30 minutes then press into a tart pan (I used a 10")

Filling:
6 med. oranges
1 (10 oz) jar of sweet orange marmalade
4 tsp. lemon zest
3/4 C lt. brown sugar
6 Tbsp. brandy
Peel oranges, removing all of the pith.  Slice into thin slices and then line the tart pan with them in a curricular pattern.  Mix all remaining ingredients to form a glaze and spoon glaze over oranges (reserving some additional glaze for serving).  Slice and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I choose a word, too, and I think your choice is very interesting. I am still pondering my word for this year. Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete