Monday, May 23, 2011

The Gift of Flight


Have you ever had one of those conversations that came at you out of nowhere?  Over the weekend I did and it got me thinking, reminiscing really, about growing up and all of those things that shaped me as a person.  What I remember:

I remember family dinners around the kitchen table, every night.  
*
Playing ball with my dad, brother, and the neighbor kids in the street.  
*
Going to dance lessons with my mom, the adult class, every Tuesday night followed by Arby's.
*
Long walks to the ice cream parlor, late on a summer night when it was too hot to sleep.
*
Family vacations and holidays.
*
Going to the pumpkin patch and playing hide and seek at the Christmas tree lot.
*
Shopping with my mom (before the dreaded teen angst years), and loving every minute of it.
*
Long hours spent with my mom drilling multiplication tables and thinking I'd never get it (I did).
*
Hours volunteering with my mom and late nights slap happy laughing.
*
Always hugs and I love you's.

These few things, among many, shaped who I would eventually be and reflect what is important to me. As the parent of two amazing, intelligent young children, my upbringing (as well as B's, who also comes from a strong sense of family), shape how important we view family.  We make sure that the kids know how very paramount family is, all family.  In our want to give them as carefree an experience as possible in what are sometimes, less than carefree times, we have created a life emulating those simpler things that we feel best bring us back to our childhoods. Times when free play, open space (I so remember the forts we would build on the vacant, tree shaded lots), running home to dinner in the evening, rosy cheeked and dirty, and most of all family, were pivotal to childhood.  The twenty-four hour news cycle, and volatile antics are merely distractions, and unfortunately sometimes profound ones, from those, most important life lessons that shaped my growing up years.  I hope that all of the efforts we go to, to teach our children about life, the importance of family and how to be open minded, and conscientious people will give them the foundation to make their own informed decisions and give them the wings to fly.  

What a beautiful gift I was given, flight.  Thanks mom & dad! 


This is my contribution to Jill's May challenge~ Childhood
It's not too late, there's a few days left to join in!!

6 comments:

  1. So many of your memories match mine and you are right in that each one of them do end up shaping the person you become. The best way to help shape children is having good parental guidance and it seems you two have a great handle on that!

    Thanks for linking up...great submission!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post - I hate that my kids can't have the same experiences I had growing up, but we've tried hard to give them as many as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, sweetheart. I love and admire you sooo much. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written! You can tell that grace and style runs in your family. :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You didn't say but I'll guess (I love to guess) that the picture is of you, dad, mom, and brother. You look like your mom but you know that. Assuming this is correct, another gift you have is pictures. Why did we not want to have our picture taken as kids and young adults?
    Nice post - oh does your brother read the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Family is everything, and memories are precious!

    ReplyDelete