Monday, July 12, 2010

Stand and Be Counted?


I have been hearing on the news that it's coming.  Then in this article today in the New York Times it seems to be official.  The census is wrapping up.  Those who didn't mail in their papers had home visits in order to be included.  Not only that, if they weren't home, then there was a secondary and even a third visit to get this accomplished.  This provided much needed jobs for many who were in need and sadly those individuals will be out looking again.

WHAT, it's over?  I would like to add a family of four to the count please.  We never received our mailer (at either house).  In April there was a sticker on the door of other house from someone attempting a visit (keeping in mind this is a house that was visibly vacant).  Worried that we'd be missed I called the number on the form to our local census office.  I was told that they'd update the information reflecting the vacant house.  She also assured me we'd have a home visit at our new house (you know the one we've lived in and received mail at for the last 3 years).  When I heard the news story last month that final visits were happening I called again.  Again, I was assured someone would complete the visit. I inquired whether I could pick up paperwork to submit and was informed that wasn't possible, they don't have those forms, they were only received by mail at the residence. It makes me wonder how many, like me, have been missed;  tried to be counted and been looked over?  So maybe 4 little people wouldn't skew the population much, not skew the number of voting representatives we have, but I'm guessing there's more than just our little nuclear family. 

So,  I stood waiving my arms above my head, and calling: "hey don't forget us!"  Yet, we still stand uncounted.

2 comments:

  1. My daughter worked for the census this year. She really stuck to it in order to get everyone listed. I suppose your census taker simply wasn't as tenacious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Writer Lady, I have the greatest respect for the census workers. It's a tough job going door to door and not knowing who's going to answer. I only wish the mechanisms in place at the central offices were more organized to handle inquiries.

    ReplyDelete