Thursday, July 29, 2010

Owl Watching

 Could this abandoned nest be his/her home??

I've become rather obsessed.  Two nights ago, B called me to the window to see this giant owl sitting low on a branch in the maple tree.  I race for my camera, and he swooped away just as I was raising my lens and before I could catch it.  I love these majestic creatures.  I remember as a child, we had an owl in the neighborhood that we caught a glimpse of periodically.  Since we've moved to the homestead I will occasionally hear a pair of owls.  They do seem to be somewhat social creatures and like to hoot back and forth.  The last time I heard them was this winter, well spring in many places, but still winter-like here.  I went out early one March morning to the sound of an owl pair gently talking back and forth across the yard. 

The birds this year have been amazing.  It's either an extension of the oddly warm weather we have had, or it has something to do with the fact that I have proactively tried to place multiple bird feeders.  On several occasions, there have been a gaggle of crows loudly ho-ranging something high in the hickory tree.  Last night there were a few loud finch like birds aggressively going after something.  I realized they are trying to chase away this large owl living among the boughs.
 Woodpecker captured while on the owl quest

So this evening as I walked outside at dusk, I marveled at the birds all around me headed to roost.  The last of the hens were clucking their way in.  Robins, cardinals, finches, woodpeckers and everything in between seemed to be hurrying across the sky to their various homes.  Our humidity has broken leaving less dense and fresher air. Tonight, the singing voices of these avian are only eclipsed by the crickets emerging in the cool night air.  I kept a watchful eye, but haven't caught sight of the wise old predator.  I will continue to search for him and hope to capture a shot to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment