Friday, February 28, 2014
Random 5 Friday
1. For the last five years we have made and donated soup for our towns Empty Bowls event. This year the health department is requiring that all Indy soups be made in a commercial kitchen. Aside from all of our ingredients and spices, we have to bring all of our pots, pans, cookie sheets, knives etc. The bags are packed and we will head off to make a parsnip and white bean soup later this morning...all garden fare from last season.
2. Everyone seems to be very ready for the weekend this week, myself included.
3. We have an old orchard on our property. Well, what once was an orchard. There are five large trees remaining, and though overgrown and dying, still produce very flavorful apples. B harvested from last years new growth and has stored the samples. We will be grafting them later this spring and hope to propagate the orchard this year.
4. It is hard to believe that tomorrow is March first. The start to the year has just flown. We are approaching more records for the winter. Earlier this week we were at 86 consecutive days of snow cover of 1" or greater, only another 20 days or so to break a previous record. With the masses of snow still on the ground that should not be too hard to do. Regardless, thoughts turn toward spring and we are starting our onions in doors tomorrow!
5. We should have some big news later today, but I learned early on that nothing is done until the last signature dry. More to come.
Won't you join in?