Friday, December 13, 2013

Something in the Air


 I do not know what it was, but yesterday when I was driving the kids home we encountered quite an event.  It lasted for about 30 minutes and then disappeared as quickly as it had begun.  The sky filled with geese.  The pictures do not begin to do it justice. 


This was much more than the typical nightly heading into the roosting grounds.  This was my early carpool, so mid afternoon.  Hundreds upon hundreds of geese filled the entire sky overhead and were flying frantically with no organization, and in every which direction.  As they would circle in clouds, the deafening sound of their honking would fade in and out.

At the same time, when I dropped off our carpool, one of the trees in front of his house filled with robins.  Odd this late in the season and being so cold out.  There was easily two dozen of them hopping around trying to gain footing on the frozen branches. 

The sky was crystal clear and the moon was just rising in the East.  There must have been something in the air, maybe a warning of today's coming snows.

2 comments:

  1. I can only imagine being there, I once was witness to over 100 ducks passing overhead, they sounded like an incoming small plane one of the most mystical and magical things I've experienced. I wonder what was up with the Geese and Robins...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that you captured this event. Surely something was up....

    ReplyDelete