Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Old and New

2013, what can I say, you were such a bittersweet year.  You were filled with accomplishment, joy and great upheaval.  I suppose that is just the yin and yang of life.  The natural balance that occurs to keep us on our toes and thankful.  

The year was filled with great food * better friends * I became a godmother * a long girls weekend away * a more abbreviated yet productive garden * lots handmade * our best canning year yet * winemaking * introducing the kids to the Alisal * expanding to four hives * becoming more active in our community * running the kids around * a tractor * crazy weather * decisions made * and dreams for the future envisioned, to name a few.

Years ago, I began to pick a word, something that would be the guiding mantra of the year.  This years word was pace.  As the year began I kept my pace, what was natural for me, keeping busy, getting involved, maybe beginning to move at a faster cadence than I had originally intended.  Then on March 29th, I was reminded that I need to slow down a bit and enjoy each moment.  When you see your husbands life flash before your eyes it has a way of resetting your priorities.  My word for the remainder of the year changed to heal.  Healing of body and mind continues as perspectives and priorities ebb, flow and mold into what will be our future goals.

Earlier this week, I came across this quote.  I think instead of one word this year, maybe I will look to one phrase:

"May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness.  I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art--write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can.  And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself." Neil Gaiman

A very Happy New Year to you, and may you find magic and dreams in 2014.


2 comments:

  1. What a lovely photo and post. Along with a girlfriend 30 years ago we began choosing a year influencing word on the day of our birthdays, I've never missed a year and love the tradition and energy this one word brings me. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete