Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Last Hurrah



trampoline Time seems to stand still, yet it moves so incredibly fast. Our days have turned blustery. I can feel us entering late fall where the warmer days with just crisp mornings turn colder, wetter, windier and darker as we inch toward winter.   The lovely days of long walks in the balmy air and the kids running and jumping with bare feet have turned more urgent to tuck things away for their hibernation, all while zipping jackets up as high as they go and walking with a quicker step.

My mind wanders to warm sweet spicy smelling pots on the stove, sewing projects, and fluffy quilts.  Just as I am ready to nestle myself up and settle into these thoughts, I realize that we need to head out into the wind to protect our more tender garden crops from tonight's expected frost.  There is still work to be done, and it is the most fulfilling, not just because we must complete our final harvests in the coming couple of weeks, but we need to knock down and prepare for next year.  A kind of wiping the slate clean so that new and beautiful drawings can begin.  Some great satisfaction comes from completing all of these tasks, like the squirrel who finally gets his next full and can settle in.

Have I mentioned that I love fall?  Now it is the leaves turn to dance on the trampoline, enjoying their last hurrah.

1 comment:

  1. I recognize these impulses. they're both wonderful and bittersweet. I think autumn is my favorite season.

    ReplyDelete