Thursday, May 26, 2011

Homemade Pizza 101


I think one of the easiest and funnest comfort foods to make is homemade pizza.  So, what better way to launch into a holiday weekend than throw some dough around the kitchen?  I have made these pizzas lots of times.  We went basic this evening, but I have done them for kids sleepovers and had each child create their own shape and put on whatever toppings they want. This has got to be healthier than the delivery or Digiorno and we can customize however we choose.  During summer we can load them with garden produce, at less cost and with fewer food miles.

Homemade Pizza

I purchase frozen pizza dough balls made by a local company at the grocery store, for $1.  I should try to make my own, I'm sure it's simple, but for a buck on a busy work/school night, it is worth it to eliminate the clean up!


 Once you have thrown the dough around a bit and shaped it however thin or thick you want, slather it with a good tomato sauce, or use some of that wonderful pesto you froze at the end of last season.
 Sprinkle with cheese.  You can use whatever mix you like, but I like how mozzarella and provolone melt together and I grate fresh parm on top when it comes out of the oven.
 Then place toppings.  Tonight we went the Hawaiian route.  Canadian bacon and pineapple, something about that combination is so pleasing.
Sprinkle a little more cheese on top, just to seal the deal and put in a preheated 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until cooked depending on your crust thickness.

And there you have it!  Easy prep, little mess and happy family!
I had an extra dough-ball that I defrosted tonight, hmmm I think I'll add the sweetness of cinnamon and sugar and make some breakfast thing tomorrow....

4 comments:

  1. that looks so delicious! if you like BLT's, try the California Pizza Kitchen BLT pizza...it's easy and so tasty (if you like BLT's!)

    CPK BLT PIZZA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy and so easy! I don't think I've ever seen those dough balls - I'll have to see if I can find them around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay....like totally YUM !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the pizza which my momma make it at home.The taste of this pizza is really very yummy. Sometimes I like just cheese. Sometimes I like onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, etc veggies. I always tell here to make it once in a week.The above pictures of pizza are really good.



    franchises in Ottawa

    ReplyDelete