Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Realizations

 An orchid in the snow

I have realized something this year.  I love the snow.  I guess it took the sluggish start of our winter for me to really understand.  I found myself longing for it, missing it.  We have only had a dusting here or there this winter.  I take that back, there was one good snow, on Christmas day, but we were out of town and the 45 and 50 degree days that followed meant that there was precious little left when we returned. 

Today, we had one of those slow all day snows.  Fine and light at times and fluffy, swirling like in a snow globe, at others.  All and all, we've had about 5 inches or so and I love it.  I guess I feel if it is going to be frigid, then it may as well be beautiful too.  The starkness of winter is dulled when blanketed in white ice crystals.  The kids are eager to sled and I am glad to join them.  Equally, I love to sit on our big overstuffed chair and gaze out of my window.

I'm sure there will be a time when I eat my words, when the winter wears just a little too long.  I hope though, that my continued awe in the beauty of seasons changing will give me the perspective necessary to live, anticipate, and enjoy the wonder of them all.

5 comments:

  1. So glad to find another person who feels the same way I do!! What flower is that in bloom now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your post makes me realize I too love snow and have been waiting for it since the beginning of Winter. Hopefully sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, it's an orchid. An incredibly indulgent splurge, that I bought for our New Years Day brunch centerpiece. Something about how delicate it is, made me want to see it sitting in the fresh powder :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you - I believe the snow softens the cold. Unfortunately, we just get the cold. Enjoy the snow for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the snow too, but ours is all gone after several days of rain. i realize all of that elation i felt at winter in december when the world was covered in a magical blanket of white is gone and i'm dragged down by the grey days. i want my snow back!!! and my frozen lake. we can't even skate now. and i find myself thinking the insane thought that i hope winter isn't already over!

    ReplyDelete