Friday, January 21, 2011

Lilac-cicle

 Look at our hardy little lilac buds protected in their ice sheathing, calmly waiting for their time to thrive, yet sparkling in their own special way in the sunset.

Today we woke up to ten degree below zero temps with a -23 degree windchill.  I didn't sleep well, I think I spent the night anticipating the email that school was cancelled and for some reason, that was enough to lead to restlessness.  I guess snow days can be as much anticipated by the parents as the kids.  The cancellation never came, we needed to have a wind chill of -25 to do it, so bundled up and grumbling, off they went.  If that doesn't encourage hardy stock, I don't know what will!

As a parent, I spent my day holed up in the house, cleaning, cooking, pondering blog posts for a sustainable life, and doing a little yoga.  School pick up was frigid.  So cold, my clothes got crisp just from standing outside.  The kids each sauntered out with their friends.  They were laughing, chatting and walking like it was any other day as I was turning blue and wondering if my tears had solidified and if my eyes had actually frozen open.

Moral of the Story.... Kids= hardy stock, 
Mom, not quite so much! 
Happy Friday and Stay Warm!
 


1 comment: