Sunday, May 16, 2010

Homestead Gratitude #8

 One of the things I love most about this time of year is the bonfire.  It's a true symbol of the fair weather season.  Last night we had our first bonfire.  Charlie had his birthday sleepover and we thought that roasting weenies and doing s'mores would be a great way to do dinner.  The boys had a great time, for a short while and ran off to other adventures.  B, Sid & I sat for a long time enjoying. 

A bonfire is such a sensory experience.  I love the smell of the smoke, the warmth the fire throws, the amazing colors of the flames as the light of day dims and fades, and the sound of the wood popping.  This is the time of year when people emerge from their homes after a long seasons hibernation.  We're back on porches, sipping wine and watching kids run late into the lighter evenings.  The natural evolution is celebrations, big and small, around a fluid and lively fire.  We've solved many of the worlds problems with our little fireside chats.  I look forward to much time gazing into a bonfire while feeling a cool evening's breeze.  I can picture myself sitting with friends by the fire and looking up to a sky full of stars, that mirror all life's possibilities back to me, and I smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment