Saturday, February 13, 2010

Let's Make Jam

Where has the last week gone?  I'm not entirely certain.  I've been distracted, and therefore remiss in posting.  My daughter has been dealing with some perplexing medical issues, so it seems that I've been consumed by our wonderful medical system.  I can't imagine why anyone would think the US would need healthcare reform?  Sigh.. That sentiment will be for another post.  I'm just steamed because I just got a form letter from the insurance company today letting me know they were going to review the request and let us know if they'd cover my daughters CAT scan.  Humpf.. I can tell you what their answer better be, but again for another post.

Today I had the pleasure of hosting a play date for Charlie.  It is so amazing to listen to the intense 'dude' filled conversation of six year old boys.  Sidney laid low and worked on some school work while the dudes played wildly.  I managed to do some Saturday chores and finish the two aprons I'd been working on for a friend.

I've joined a photography 365 group on flickr (you can check them out from the flickr badge on this page).  I only began participating the beginning of this month, but it has been a fantastic experience so far.  My biggest frustration has been that though I've had some beautiful shots, I'm getting tired of all of the white.  It has been a beautiful backdrop, but is making me feel like I'm caught in a winter rut and I'm becoming increasingly antsy for Spring.  While craving the taste of Spring, I dug deep into the freezer and found the rhubarb that I'd chopped up last May and prepared a fantastic Rhubarb Jam.  I can't imagine it will last the week, hmm maybe not the weekend.  So, renewed by the taste of what treats are to come, I'll look outside and enjoy the beauty of the winter wonderland we live in.

Rhubarb Jam

1 1/2 lbs Chopped Rhubarb
2 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Water
1/3 Cup Orange Juice
2 tsp. Orange Zest 

Bring all of the ingredients to a boil, then reduce heat to medium high and cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Place in sterilized jars and in the fridge.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment