Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My Not So Anonymous Soapbox


An interesting column in the NY times today really got me thinking. The article is about cyberbullying, defamation of character and the anonymity that blogs or posts are placed under. Over the last few years I've gotten more and more involved with the Internet (haven't we all). I remember thinking how divisive, nasty and wholly uneducated and immature commentary got during the presidential election cycle. By this I do not mean the articles themselves, as there were plenty of conflicting views, and you always need to get a broad education. I'm referring more to comments left on the articles that lead more to yelling matches and verbal duels than discussions. I remember being sickened at how often there were angry posts trying to incite violence. I was relieved when the campaigns came to an end, thinking that this would end too.

I've found I was very wrong. Almost any article you come across you find these horrible, hateful dissertations and it's disheartening. I wonder if we're just a completely snarky and negative people, or maybe it's just these loud and obnoxious ones who stand out to me because it's so shockingly venomous.

I value open discussion, reason, debate and education. I believe in the first amendment and I think everyone should be allowed to their voice/opinion. But didn't we learn any values on how we speak? If you don't have anything nice to say... do onto others.... What is to be accomplished by spewing hate, racism, sexism, ageism, greed or just lies? Make your point in a coherent adult fashion that leads to open discussion, not just closed minded rhetoric. Maybe then we can all be heard and actually gain some understanding from one another.

1 comment:

  1. I think that is very well said and I agree completely.

    on a side note, it's been interesting to watch everyone holding their tongue against being nasty about Kennedy today since he DIED but you know the slander will start tomorrow.

    Karri

    ReplyDelete