Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Age Ain't Nothin' But a Number....


We began the vacation a few days early so Brian could meet up with some (7) of his high school cronies for fun on the lake, a sort of impromptu 24 year reunion before the "big one" next year :) before the family arrived. Since this involved the boat and getting to Arkansas a bit early, the kids and I holed up in a hotel in Rogers, took in some sites and swam.

Dinner times were interesting. First of all I respect all of you single moms out there. I was a bit shocked when I entered a restaurant the first night and was asked...and is, uh, anyone joining you? Nope. Just me and the kiddos. I felt somewhat looked down upon. When I ordered a sangria she carded me. Well, I guess, no big deal. Almost flattery. I know, I secretly love being carded at the grocery store, don't you?

I appreciated this oh so much more the following night. We went to a Red Robin. The waiter was great with the kids. No interrogation on where my spouse was. As I perused the menu I noticed that it said 'anyone appearing younger than 39 1/2 will be carded.' I order our dinner and beer for myself. HE DID NOT CARD ME!! Now, wait a minute! I was offended. I look young don't I??

Truly I don't care much one way or the other. I love the Uppity Blues Women and the lyric "and like a fine wine, you don't get older, you just get better." I've always felt that way and always felt an old soul, one who's young at heart.

It's just interesting to me how I'm perceived. It could very much be the perceiver. I remember working in customer service (10 years ago or so now) and I discussed a client to a fellow staff member as "that kid" who was just here. She laughed and said he wasn't a kid, he had to be in his early 20's. At the time I was in my late 20's. People seem to look younger as we get older. It just shows relativity doesn't it?

**if you want to hear the song, click the hyperlink ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment