Sunday, June 7, 2009

What Season is This?


It's  lazy Sunday, but I guess that's what we need this week.  The weather seems to think it's fall instead of the beginning of summer.  It's 50 degrees, windy and there is periodic rain.  As I sit here dreaming of warmer weather, I thought I should do a quick garden update.

After the final cold soccer game of the season yesterday (Charlie scored 2 goals!),  I began working on a couple of projects.   For those of you who participated in my Altruistic Giving note on Facebook, you may benefit from these labors. ;)  As part of one of these projects, I spent some time looking through photos of last years garden.  I was shocked at how far behind some items are.  Brian and I perused the garden for a little while this morning. All of the cool cloudy weather has made the cold weather crops thrive!  Lettuce, cabbage's, peas, potatoes, onions, even beans and tomatoes seem happy.  I'm a little concerned that cucumbers, squash, melons and pumpkins are very slow to emerge this year.  This time last year the plants were already fairly good sized.  This year, I'm out after every sunny day stalking the rows searching for the tell tale large squash leaves pushing through.  I've only found 3 so far.   Hopefully all this means is we'll have a later harvest for these treats. 

A bit of good news, the strawberries have begun to ripen and it looks like we will have a nice sweet crop this year!  I think I'm mere days from jam making.   ***A quick tip for berries.  If you grow them or get them from the farmers market, place them in rows on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer.  They will freeze whole beautifully.  Once their frozen put them in a freezer container, and they will be perfect for whenever you're ready to use them!  Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment