Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What's for Lunch???



School pick up is a great time.  The kids are excited from the day, excited to be headed home and full of stories.  I always hated my lunches when I was in elementary school.  PB&Js and  nasty red delicious apples galore.  By lunch time the bread was soggy, well you get my drift.  So instead of subjecting my kids to that, they get "hot lunch" at school (reminds me of a great song from Fame: 'if it's yellow then it's jello, if it's blue it could be stew ewwwww')! I digress...

So I ask them every day: "What was for hot lunch today?"  Today's response (like 3/5 days) was I don't remember, from both of them!!  Then they remember orange juice or a fruit cup, but not the main course.  It was 4 hours ago!  They weren't joking either.  That memorable hugh?

So how am I going to tie this into my garden theme, hmmm... well maybe the kids won't remember exactly what they had for dinner every night, but they'll know where it came from, how it was raised, and how to be healthy.  

We planted an entire row densely with 7 different varieties of lettuces today during our lunch break.  We should have plenty for our consumption along with the Hemmig's (our garden com padres) and other friends as well as left over.  Anyone know a local restaurant looking for a salad greens supplier?   Thankfully, both of the kids like salad, or the first harvests of the season would be very disappointing.  The rhubarb has also made an appearance.  Now, before last year I hadn't had rhubarb since I was a kid, on a Sunday morning at Gram's house.  It was wonderful last year in oatmeal!  I so look forward to this early garden treat.  Looking forward to learning more and teaching our kids more this year about what is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment