Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Sea


As I drive the kids from place to place, I frequently listen to our local NPR Stations.  There are always interesting stories on and a news snippet yesterday morning particularly captured my ear.  It was discussing the temporary shutdown of an Indiana steel plant due to delays in deliveries because of the lingering ice on the lake.    The shipping season is off to a slow start as the Great Lakes still have nearly a 50% ice cover and in some places the ice breakers are trudging through three feet of ice... in April!

What particularly appealed to me was the British news woman who at the end of the piece referenced the five inland seas.  I have never heard this term before and found it wonderful.  Perfectly romantic and full of mischievous adventure, don't you think?  I love that I live on the shores of one of these seas.

2 comments:

  1. I also listen to NPR while driving/waiting on my daughter. Always informative! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The five inland seas - perfect, yes I do think!!
    We like to go check out the ice break up on Lake Superior.. it sure varies year to year.
    I just watched a video of the ice out on one of the rivers that drains into it on the north shore - amazing!

    ReplyDelete