Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sweet Start

 This morning as we were rushing out (what's new), Sidney said oooh, I think there is a goose behind the wood pile!  As I came out and walked toward the car I saw not a goose, but a duck's head just above the grass walking toward the tree line.  Then a second later, I saw little movements behind her in the grass and I realized she had a slew of baby ducklings following her!  I ran back to the house, changed lenses and out I ran with my camera. 

I caught up just as she reached the tree row and tried to catch a few shots.  She was a little perturbed with me being so close and she was scurrying around very fast so the photos aren't great.  But she was a stunning creature, one I had not seen before.  We have tons of Mallards around here, but this sweet girl with her babies was a Wood Duck.  I'm too embarrassed to post the shot of her, it's so blurry, but this one is fair of a few of the babies and you can see their dramatic eyes.  What a sweet start to the day!

4 comments:

  1. I don't know what a female wood duck looks like, but the male is outstanding!! Such adorable ducklings. Glad they didn't scurry off too fast before getting a few shots. I'm sure that made your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a precious shot of them following after their Mama! I'm so glad you were quick enough to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen babies of the Wood Duck. They are so cute! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the wood ducks are a rare treat here,too....i love them, but rarely get to enjoy them :(

    a few posts ago i shared some duckling photos. too....and they actually stayed still for me.....what a surprise !!

    my hubby says it's due to my duck whisperer talents that did it :)

    ReplyDelete