Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Shel

Shel Silverstein
I would say that it was the fall of third grade that Sidney really caught the reading bug. She now reads at a sixth/seventh grade level as a fourth grader and has a tremendous appetite for it. In the last couple of months (spring of second grade) Charles has really taken an interest in reading. It's amazing the difference between children, or maybe it is the contrasting approaches that boys and girls take in how they do things. Sidney went straight for chapter books, then novels. Charles got hooked on graphic novels, then articles in Highlight Magazine and some children's encyclopedias we have.

Now he has found a new love. Shel Silverstein! He read cover to cover A Light In The Attic, followed closely by Where the Sidewalk Ends. Now I remember reading these books as a kid, but I would pick and choose poems, not read them like a novel. Yesterday, I bought Charles Falling Up. In the car he immediately sat down grabbed the book out of the bag and began reading each poem, giggling appreciatively, and sharing antic dotes as he read.

2 comments:

  1. It's great that your children are so interested in reading. Maybe you have been good role models for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when my kids took off on their own, reading. Isn't it a joyous feeling?? My kids loved Shel, too.

    ReplyDelete