Saturday, April 9, 2011

As The Garden Begins To Grow

I seem to have been struck with a bronchial infection of some kind that leaves me getting winded doing menial tasks.  As a result of spending the entirety of yesterday on the couch, I am a little more restless today.  So as the kids are enjoying 50 degrees running and exploring outside, I took a little stroll to check the progress of the garden.

The cold frames are humming along.  This first one has a few of the greens that over-wintered ready to make another small salad and the cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and brussels appear to be hardening off nicely.  
The salad greens and rows and rows of radishes are sprouting.  I see a radish green salad in my very near future!
B has utilized every bit of the completed compost to top dress most of the garden beds, and the garlic, shallots and potato onions are beginning to put on a show.


My mouth began to water seeing the alien ruffles of the rhubarb emerging.

Last, but not, least...the chives are beginning to flourish.  Charles hasn't discovered them yet, but I'm sure he'll be coming in the house any time after grazing on his favorite snack!  Crazy Kid!
It seems we are well on our way!

3 comments:

  1. That seems like a wonderful stroll, I'm also so fascinated of the rhubarb when they beguine to emerge.

    (I finally managed with the thumbnail on Color my world. Well, the resized photo became awful, but it had the right color...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to snack on chives as a kid too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great garden and it looks like it's coming along great, too! Hope you're all better by now!

    ReplyDelete