Monday, February 21, 2011

Fighting for Spring


We had a full week of gorgeous weather that hinted at spring.  As the grass slowly began to emerge from under it's down-like blanket of snow, I got to try out my new boots.  I headed into the yard and picked up after the dogs and collected fallen branches from months of winter winds.

It was so nice to be working outside again!  I could hear a few birds testing their voices. So in my exuberance, I refilled all of the bird feeders and watched a joyful feast ensue.

Sunday morning it began to sleet, then drop these amazing large wet snowballs, then just downright ice, then rain.  This pattern lasted all day long.  At the beginning of the storm I was upstairs and happened to glance out the window overlooking the service berry tree.  This lone bird was sitting there, hanging on to dear life as it was pelted with snowballs.  It was holding a silent, stunned protest grasping against the dramatic change.  Ultimately, she flew to safety, seconds after I took the above shot.  It's not a great one, but the movement to me illustrated her battle to hold onto spring.  It looks as if that fight will be won another day.

2 comments:

  1. I always feel sorry for the wildlife (especially birds) during inclement weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we were holding on for dear life along with the birds....

    what a smack in the face storm, wasn't it ?

    and now i'm done. winter can go away !!!

    ReplyDelete