Thursday, January 20, 2011

Sledding Into The Sunset

It snowed all day Monday and the kids had a great time playing in it.  About four o'clock they came in and hit me up to head over to the sledding hill.  I said 'no'.  The roads were a mess and I told them that we could do it Wednesday after school (we had 4-H Tuesday night).  Of course the cold air slowly started to descend upon us.  Despite my dread, we trekked out to the hill yesterday after school, which is also sunset time here right now.  As a result of the 14 degrees, we had the hill to ourselves.  I realized once again, it is the simplest things that bring the kids such joy.  Racing down the hill, spinning, sliding backwards or on their bellies, led to great cold puffing laughs and sparkling eyes. In 30 frigid minutes, they had a blast, and had vibrant rosy cheeks when we got back in the car. 

Now the real cold is coming, wind chills that will curl your toes (-25).  I think indoor activities tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. A wonderful photo! The snow is wonderful! When I was out today at the schoolyard where I work there were 150 kids out playing in different groups with different activities. No conflicts, just happy children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful vintage feel to that photo!

    ReplyDelete