Wednesday, December 15, 2010

#reverb10 ~ Day 15 ~ 5 Minutes

Lavender Smear

5 Minutes.  Imagine you will completely lose your memory of 2010 in five minutes. Set an alarm for five minutes and capture the things you most want to remember about 2010. (Author: Patti Digh)

I have looked back over the year and there are so many things worthy of being a final five minutes of memory.  A mother daughter trip to Madison, the kids rolling the base of a snowman much larger than themselves, learning, Charlie's first grade musical, planting, loving, time spent with the dearest of friends, and travels to family in both happiness and sadness, to name only a few.

But as I went through the day and continued to think about the prompt and read so many wonderful responses, I realized that I don't think the specifics are what I would want to remember.  After Gram's long battle with dementia, and realizing in the last 18 months or so that she didn't know me other than as a nice person among many, I don't think the individual moments are what I want to remember.

 I want to recollect the feelings.  I want to know that I felt loved.  That I experienced contentment and happiness with family and friends.  I want to know I felt a peace with the world around me that comes from living a good life.  I think these impressions would fill the void and ease the uncertainty that comes from the loss of memory.

What would you like to remember if you knew you could only retain five minutes of the last year?  #reverb10

2 comments:

  1. the feeling of being completely loved... now thats something i want to hold on to ... for always

    ReplyDelete
  2. the feeling of my daughter's kisses on my cheeks and the love of family and friends.

    ReplyDelete