Sunday, October 17, 2010

Busy Hands


When I was pregnant with Sidney, I made this for Gram for Christmas.  At the time it was so true to me that her hands were always busy, almost tornadic with keeping the house, being a life-force as a volunteer and a matriarch to our family.  I have always had this inner cyclone in myself too.  I approach everything at break-neck speed in my life. 

Our little farmstead has a few key pieces of furniture that we've purchased, but mostly is a conglomeration of important family pieces we've acquired along the way.  I have all of Great-Uncle Orville's "knock down" furniture,  Clocks from B's grandparents, our kitchen table from my parents was my childhood dining room table, and artwork from all over the family.  The cross-stitch has now come back into my hands, and many other items from her house are soon to follow.  I feel her presence as I heft our furniture all over the house and clean preparing for the arrival of items that I have memories of from the earliest of ages.

I love that we can share so much of our childhood with our children.  As we create memories with our family, I so love that we can add to the story and history of so many items that have seen our families through generations. 

2 comments:

  1. How special it must be to have so many possessions in your home from your ancestral tree. I can just imagine how cozy and inviting your home must be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have cross-stitch pieces and other gifts I gave to my grandmothers, plus pieces of their furniture, quilts, afghans and photos. I like surrounding myself in memories of them.

    ReplyDelete