Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Synapse


It's funny how your brain works.  Well I guess I should say it's funny how mine works.  I've always been a list maker and scheduler, but for all of that precision I also need a deadline.  With blogging there is no real deadline, except maybe for your internal goals, so it's that fire that must motivate you.  I just tend to let the muse lead me.  Well, with the invitation to do some guest blogging at Eat Right Racine and with no scheduled deadline, I guess my brain has unconsciously been on rapid fire. 

This hit me at 2 am Tuesday morning when my mind not only was formulating a thought provoking blog post for ERR, it was simultaneously creating a companion one for this here little blog.  I have this thing about not wanting to duplicate or be too repetitive.  If I double posted, it would seem like the easy way.  So I did have the presence of mind to reach groggily for my trusty iPhone and jot down the notes that were firing at rapid speed in my head.  I remember thinking that the thoughts just blew in like the crazy 50 mph winds that had begun to swirling outside. 

Of course I then spent the rest of the night analyzing why my thoughts came this way.  I then realized that when writing articles for our newsletter at work I wait until the last possible minute of the deadline.  I'll be walking through the building or doing another task and the whole thing just comes, just flows and I can't get it on paper fast enough.  Then in the wee hours of the morning I remember that I wrote for a while, my Junior year I think, for our high school paper the Ocean Breeze.  I distinctly recall the same type of process for my writing.  For the good or bad, that's how it comes.  In fact, it's how I'm writing now!  I seem to come from a line of writers, my mom has been and editor and written poetry and screenplays for as long as I can remember, and my uncle more recently found his inspiring voice for poetry and blogging.  Interesting how we all find it on our own, and respect our individual muse. 

No worries, ERR I've got one coming, just when my synapses finish their firing :)

2 comments:

  1. oh happy writing to you my friend!
    please come visit me, i have a surprise for you!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! You are in:) Please send me your email addie so I can send you an invite:) duffettfolkart AT yahoo.ca
    Cheers, Shelagh

    ReplyDelete