Thursday, July 8, 2010

Getting My Ducks In A Row

 This little family stopped traffic as we were driving  back to work today

With all of our warm weather and rain, the garden is more than thriving...it's taken on quite a life of it's own.  Very exciting, we're beginning to harvest squash about three weeks earlier than normal and we're soon to have lots of green beans too!  I decided that since the garden got a jump on us, I'd better get a jump on my food storage.  I knocked out my first double batch of pesto (enough for 6 meals), and two zucchini casseroles for the freezer.  It only took me an hour to get it all done, well, actually an hour and 20 minutes.  Of course, I got most of the way through cooking and realized I was missing a key assembly component and had to go back to the store.  Grrrr.   Despite that, I had a productive early evening and if I can keep this up, maybe I won't have to worry about cooking at all on busy school nights next fall and winter!   How's that for getting my ducks in a row?  ;-)

Zucchini (squash) Casserole

2 lbs zucchini (or any summer squash, I love the Italian Squash) Sliced
1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 C. cottage cheese
1 C. instant brown rice
1 tsp. chopped garlic
1/2 tsp. Herbs de Provence
1 Can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 C. grated cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Spray 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray (I use disposable pans when I'm freezing these).  Layer 1/2 of the squash on the bottom of the pan.  Brown meat with onion and add in garlic, and seasonings.  When fully browned stir in rice.  Place meat mixture on top of squash in the pan.  Spread the cottage cheese over the meat layer, then layer with remaining squash.  Spread can of soup over top of squash and top with cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and turning brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment